Friday, May 24, 2013

The Life of a Writer

I am finding the life of a freelance writer is full of peaks and valleys which I suppose can be said of any job. However, unlike my last career in education, it is full of way more uncertainties. Since I am new to the world of freelance, I am definitely open to different writing opportunities. When you enjoy writing, you can write confidently on just about any subject. The trick is finding the avenues.

Recently, I landed what I thought was going to turn out to be a weekly thing for me and I was even more thrilled that I was going to be able to write something besides sports. Now, don't get me wrong. I do enjoy writing hockey pieces, but the chance to put together some travel features was right up my alley. If I get reincarnated, I want to come back as a travel writer. And the bonus here was I was actually getting paid for each piece.

Unfortunately, payment for the rest of my gigs involves how much revenue my posts get or the number of reader votes and this doesn't even include the freebies I write. For once, I was looking at a fairly steady weekly job.

Until the dreaded e-mail arrived. My new post ideas were great, but they were on hold until some issues could be worked out for the new website. Sure, it's not completely ominous, just close. I suppose the issues could be worked out quickly and I will be able to write my European castle piece and then some, but I won't hold my breath.

I will keep plugging and applying for new jobs because that is the life of a writer or a fisherman. I haven't decided because sometimes you hook you, but most of the time you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment