Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Ghosts of Cape May

Nestled on the tip of its peninsula is by far one of the Garden State's best kept secrets.  Way, way back in the day, Cape May, New Jersey was a playground for English royalty and early American politicians with its breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean and quaint inns.  Today this Victorian, sea-side hamlet is the quintessential vacation spot, offering something for everyone.  It is also a mystery writer's paradise.

Cape May is rich in history dating back to before the Revolutionary War.  A Japanese ship even surrendered just off the shore near the end of World War II and the prisoners were detained nearby.  Fires have destroyed large sections of the Cape on several occasions, including a major one during the Victorian era which nearly decimated it completely.  Each time Cape May rebuilt.  All of this history and tragedy begs the question, is Cape May haunted?

Many will answer yes without hesitation.  Craig McManus and Charles Adams have filed at least three books with ghostly tales of Cape May.  Even the SciFi channel's show Ghost Hunters has visited and determined that the beautifully historic Victorian Southern Mansion is inhabited by a ghost who interestingly enough has a hair fetish.  Many who have visited the highest portion of the stately inn have reported the sensation of someone or something running fingers through their hair.

My family and I have been making an annual trek down the Parkway for a summertime respite since the oldest was three.  We've stayed in a few different places during that time and I have always wanted to write a story set here.  I'm not a horror writer because I am a self-confessed chicken.  I do not watch horror movies or read scary books, but I found it almost impossible to set a story in Cape May without adding a little paranormal because it is such a central part of the town's identity.  The locals speak about spirits casually as if everyone has one inhabiting their house.

When I first started writing WAVES OF DECEIT, I began doing some research into the a fore mentioned ghosts by reading a few books on the subject.  A process I abandoned after some sleepless nights.  My husband refuses to sleep with the light on and that really doesn't set the best example for the children.  On the one hand I'm telling them there aren't any monsters in the closet, but am afraid to turn the light off because I read a book that freaked me out.

Our family had stayed for two summers at the Harvard Apartments which is where Russell and company decided to vacation in my novel.  Unfortunately for us, the lovely place played havoc with every one's allergies and we had to look for a new place.  My husband found this one which was situated right across from the beach.  We soon found out why this highly sought after address was still available so late it the season.  It was the filthiest place I have ever seen.  If we had had the baby that summer, I would have taken her and driven home.  However, in the spirit of marital harmony, I cleaned it, refused to cook anything, and made the best of it.  We still refer to it as the 'Ant House.'  In addition to giving me a sinus infection, it also gave me my own Cape May ghostly encounter, though my husband will swear it was all in my imagination.

I never sleep well when not at home and especially with ants creeping everywhere, but our first night in the house, I couldn't fall asleep because I kept hearing doors slam.  When I complained about it the next morning, my husband's response was that we were above a hot dog shop and a store.  Of course, I was going to hear sounds.  He could not explain why I was the only one to hear them however.  The next day I did a little looking around and discovered that the hot dog shop closed at five and the clothing store did not have a back entrance.  The kids' rooms were at the front of the apartment.  Ours was at the back.  The doors underneath us would not be slamming in the middle of the night.  The next evening, after several door slams, I woke my husband.  I won't repeat what he said, but needless to say, he was annoyed and never heard a door slam.

Cape May has several ghost tours, but the original was a walking tour(it has sadly closed due to the recession).  As a part of my research, I wanted to take the tour so my niece and I embarked on the Ghosts of Cape May Tour, which took you to several parts of the town where the guide related ghostly tales.  A couple I knew from my research, but several were new.  Door slams seemed to be quite popular, especially at the Hotel Mawcomber a few blocks over.  At the end of the tour, we were walking down Jackson Street which is where we were staying.  My niece and I looked at each other when the guide stopped directly below our apartment.  She proceeded to depict how Jackson Street was the most haunted on the Cape and relayed a couple of tales.  I was tempted to raise my hand, but decided to save it for my book. 

Last summer with the baby just a couple of months old, we decided to skip a vacation, but gave in to the boys' pleadings with a couple of nights near the end of the summer.  This time I found the place which was thankfully immaculate, though I was a little concerned when my husband pulled into the narrow driveway at the back of the house.  I was ready to cry, but decided to wait until I saw the place in its entirety.  It paid off. The problem with our little stay was that my husband was called into work.  Instead of canceling, we decided that the kids and I would stay the first night without him.

I wasn't too concerned about being on my own with the two boys and a newborn until the oldest asked the innkeeper if the house was haunted to which she replied yes.  When the three of us stared at her, she added that the ghost was friendly and loved babies and didn't we have a cute one.  I can't say that made me feel a whole lot better.  I was petrified I was going to wake up in the middle of the night and see a ghost standing over the baby which is why I left every light on in the house.  So much for setting a good example for my sons.

I'm still deciding what ghostly twist my tale will take.  WAVES OF DECEIT is currently under consideration by JUKEPOP which publishes your work chapter by chapter like old-fashioned serials.  Mine will have enough hooks to keep a reader coming back.  I just hope they feel the same way.



5 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I was doing a search of ghosts and harvard apartments and have come across your blog. We have been coming here for years and last year all of us experienced some kind of paranaromal activity. We always felt as if someone was sitting on the end of the bed and this year we had some folded sheets move around. We were curious if you had felt anything here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! We stayed at the Harvard Apartments twice and loved it. The last time was a couple of summers ago. We were in a two bedroom on the ground floor and my husband and I slept in the back room with our youngest at the time in a playpen. I definitely felt like someone was sitting on the end of the bed where the baby was sleeping. It freaked me out a bit, but my husband thought I was crazy and letting my imagination and book research play games with my head.

      However, the experience did give me an idea for a mystery set in Cape May with my protagonist and his family staying at the Harvard Apartments. Absolutely love Cape May! Take care!

      Delete
  2. So funny. Well this is what me and my family and close relatives felt while staying here...in all of years of coming here, we have stayed in 3 of the 4 apartments, 1,3, and 4.

    We never noticed anything until last year when each of us (ages from 39-83) felt someone sitting at the end of our bed. I also was napping one day and wasnt sure if I dreamt or actually saw a black figure above me as I opened my eyes. Even if it was just a dream, it did scare me. But we never felt threatend at all so we figured whatever was here was friendly. Also, I and my one sister also feel as if we see something from the corner of our eyes. All of this happened in apt 3, the 4 bedroom.

    But the strangest thing happened to my brother n law, actually, my brother n law and sister n law at two seperate times, two different years. Two years ago my brother n law was sitting on the couch one evening while the rest of us went for a walk. He had a migraine so wanted to stay behind. he said he was sitting on the couch and looked up at the stairs to the 3rd floor and saw a figure in black coming down and leaning over to see who was there. He got up and said, "I'll go wait outside". He never told any of us because he didnt want to scare us, but when we were telling him that we felt someone at the edge of the bed he shared his story. This yr my sister n law was making the full bed and layed the folded sheets next to her on the (fully made cot) while she got the pillowcases and fitted sheet ready. When she turned to get the top she she didnt see it and got that weird sensation. She left the room and went in the hallway to just let whatever was "happening" happen. She came downstairs (but didnt tell us anything), and went back up and she found the full bed top sheet, still folded, under the fitted sheet of the cot with just the edge sticking out. crazy. my youngest sister said she actually saw out of the corner of her eye a figure in black, a young woman, and got the sense she was lonely. so who knows.

    We mentioned it to Sandra this year but she said no one said anyting to her so she didnt know, but she said the residents on the street say there is a "windsor avenue ghost", but we havent had a chance to ask anyone about it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that would have really creeped me out if I had actually seen a woman in black. In all my research on Cape May ghosts, I have never come across a Windsor Avenue one, but would not be surprised if there was. I was amazed at how many different stories I encountered from such varied sources. Craig McManus is the author of the Cape May ghost books. He might know a bit more. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dawn,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about haunted places in Cape May to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete