Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What a Difference a Year Makes

It was a little over a year ago that I made the decision to focus on jump starting my sputtering writing career. After taking the advice of a fellow writer and master marketer, I started this blog, got active on various social media sites to help promote my writing and joined www.writethismoment.com to find some freelance writing job and possibly a publisher for my book.

Well, over the past twelve months I have applied for many writing jobs and actually got some. Happily, I can now put actual writing jobs on my resume along with my teaching credits. The road has been a bit bumpy and frustrating at times. However, I now find myself with a writing job I enjoy and an ebook due out in a few months.

Writing hockey and other sports features for www.thehubsm.com has been a lot of fun and has been a step up from the other sports site I was writing for. Penning features and human interest stories has always been a dream job of mine so I am really enjoying the challenge as well as the creativity that comes along with it.

One of the highlights has been interviewing a young college student who is trying to start a grassroots campaign to get the Chicago Blackhawks to change their logo to something that Native Americans do not find discriminatory. I'm also looking forward to speaking with the man behind the Chicks with Sticks organization which put together a league for Minnesota hockey moms to show their stuff out on this ice for a change.

I love doing my own interviews to go along with the pieces I am writing. The added personal touch can really bring a feature home.

As I keep freelancing along, my ears are open for some other writing opportunities which may or may not come my way, but that is the life of a writer. No assignment is ever too small.

One of my goals this school year is to finish the second installment of my mystery series with Russell Waverly as my protagonist. He's always been a favorite character to write and his story needs to be finished.

I am very happy that his first endeavor, Secrets, Lies and Trash has finally found a home with Midnight Frost Books and it will finally be coming out as a ebook in the upcoming months.

With the older ones back in school, it will hopefully be easier to find some more time to devote to writing. That is always the challenge. It is never coming up with the ideas to put down on paper. It is finding the time to do it. Though such is the lament for every parent who struggles to find the balance between working at home and taking care of the children. If anyone finds the secret, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment